What is Stamped Concrete?
Stamped concrete is concrete that has been imprinted, patterned, textured, or stencilled to look like brick, slate, flagstone, stone, tile, wood, or any other pattern or texture. The most common way to stamp concrete in London, Ontario, is by pressing unique stamps to the surface of fresh concrete. This technique can be used for concrete patios, driveways, walkways, pool decking, and retaining walls.
The Pros of Stamped Concrete
- It’s more affordable. Stamped concrete is trendy because it is usually much cheaper than the natural stone it’s stamped to replicate. Pouring and stamping concrete also have much lower installation costs than other materials.
- It is customizable. Stamped concrete can be completely customized to your property with different colours, textures and patterns.
- Durable and easy to maintain. Stamped concrete is durable if installed and maintained correctly and can withstand various weather conditions. A stamped concrete patio or driveway can easily be kept clean by regularly sweeping, blowing, and rinsing with a hose.
- Increases property value. Working with a professional concrete contractor can help homeowners find a colour and pattern that complements the look of their patio or driveway. Potential home buyers will pay lots of money for this design feature.
The Cons of Stamped Concrete
- It is susceptible to cracking. Stamped concrete is very durable, but it, like all concrete, does not last forever. In cold temperatures, stamped concrete can crack, especially if heavy cars are weighing it down.
- It’s not DIY-friendly. Pouring and stamping concrete requires knowledge and special tools, which may not be the best DIY project. Professional concrete contractors have the knowledge and experience to mix and prepare concrete, and mistakes can be difficult to correct once it has hardened.
- It can be damaged. Stamped concrete can be damaged by freeze-thaw cycles and salt during the colder months.
- Repairs can be challenging. It is not easy to repair if your stamped concrete patio or driveway gets damaged. This is because it’s hard to find an exact colour or texture match when completing repairs.
How Much Does Stamped Concrete Cost?
Getting an overall price estimate on stamped concrete is difficult because it is so versatile. Stamped concrete can be customized in a hundred different ways, so there is no one cost for all. The different textures, stamps, and colours you use will all affect the price.
For a rough estimate, basic stamped concrete with one pattern and colour starts around $8 per square foot. Prices per square foot can reach $18 or more if you choose a more intricate design with multiple colours and a more expensive sealant.